In Module 3 your child will be adding extra consonants to words and starting to read and spell words containing 4 and 5 sounds. In Step 1 your child will be systematically taught how to add extra consonants to the end (Lesson 1), the beginning (Lesson 2) and both ends (Lesson 3) of words containing short vowel sounds only. Through a series of fun, multi-sensory games and activities child will practice reading and spelling simple words containing extra consonants. They will then build reading fluency with a targeted set of decodable 60 Word Stories.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 1 will take at least 6 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers and computer games is provided.
What you get in Module 3 Step 1
Step 1 includes online access to:
- 3 lesson videos where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan introduces the concept of adding consonants
- 28 different activities/games (120+ pages of resources)
- easy to follow session practice guide
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
- and a 12-month licence enabling you to print unlimited copies for an unlimited number of clients
PLUS you receive a reading fluency program:
- 60 Word Stories: Brad The Bull Ant. These 8 fully decodable 'chapter' stories can be read repeatedly with confidence as they only include spelling patterns taught so far in Read3. Time your child's reading speed daily and chart to track your child's fluency progress.
What your child will learn in Step 1
In Module 3 Step 1 children will learn to add consonants to words containing short vowels (closed syllables). Through our 3-step daily routing of HEAR + SEE + AUTO, children will:
- fine-tune listening skills by identifying, deleting and exchanging individual sounds in words containing consonant blends
Lesson 1 - start reading and spelling words that end with consonant blends (lost, desk, hint, camp, tuft)
- Lesson 1 - learn to read and spell 'tch' words (catch, fetch, witch, hutch)
- Lesson 2 - start reading and spelling words that begin with consonant blends (spin, stick, glad, glass, spell, twin, drop, pram, plug)
- Lesson 3 - start reading and spelling words with consonant blends at the beginning and end (crept, twist, stalk, craft, clutch, trench)
- start writing short sentences featuring words containing consonant blends
- start to build automaticity by reading sentences and text featuring consonant blends
- continue to review spelling patterns learned previously
- continue to review word endings s/es, ed, ing, er learned previously
- continue to build a bank of high-frequency words
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the three foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will have automatic access to the program. Using the email and password used to purchase, sign in to view the Read3 Main Menu. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.