Module 1 | Step 3 introduces the remaining letters of the alphabet - j, k, l, r, u, qu, w, x, y z - PLUS 60 Word Stories reading fluency program. Build automatic recall of sound patterns within short words using a range of fun and engaging games. We will also continue to expand the bank of high-frequency words.
Step 3 for Professionals includes a single-user licence, authorising use of Step 3 of the Read3 program with clients. Single step purchasing offers additional flexibility for professionals operating independently in learning support, speech pathology, or as a private tutor. Simply purchase each step when your clients are ready to move up a stage.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 3 will take at least 3-4 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers, computer games and other resources is provided. Progress should be monitored daily to determine when your child is ready to move to the next step.
What you get in Step 3Step 3 includes online access to:
- lesson video where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan teaches you key concepts and strategies
- easy to follow session practice guide
- 14 different activities/games
- digital copies of CARD KIT contents
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
- and a 12-month licence enabling you to print unlimited copies
Unlimited printing of all digital files for clients is included as part of your 12 month single-user licence (renewal fee applies). Please note, distribution of digital files is not allowed under this Professional User Licence Agreement.
PLUS you receive a reading fluency program:
- 60 Word Stories: At The Dam. These 6 fully decodable 'chapter' stories can be read repeatedly with confidence as the only include spelling patterns taught so far in Read3. Time your child's reading speed daily and chart to track your child's fluency progress.
Printed CARD KIT saves time and effort
Add a STEP 3 CARD KIT. containing essential game cards and multi-sensory concept cards, to your order and we will mail it straight to your door. Feedback tells us that the kids love the 'professional' game cards and you'll love less cutting and laminating! Kit includes:
- Sound Train Cards
- Easy Alphabet Picture and Letter Cards (10)
- Word Maker Cards
- U-Know Words Playing Cards (2 packs)
What children will learn in Step 3
In Step 3 children will:
- practise unique strategies for reading and spelling
- start fine-tuning their listening skills by substituting first sounds in words to create new words (change the 'c' in cat to a 'p')
- establish strong letter-sound links for j, k, l, r, u, qu, w, x, y z using the Easy Alphabet
- start reading words and word endings containing j, k, l, r, u, qu, w, x, y z and letters learned previously in Steps 1 and 2
- continue to build a bank of high-frequency words
- start writing words and short sentences
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the 3 foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3.
Support students at home with Read3 Family Access
Struggling readers require regular, targeted practise and home practise is recommended. Read3 offers families working under a Read3 Professional access to the Complete Module 1 at a heavily discounted rate via Read3 Family Access.
A personal login for parents ensures digital access to all program content, including videos and activities. Research shows parental 'buy-in' improves the likelihood of regular at-home practise and continued progress during school holidays. Based on monitoring outcomes, your specialist team will advise Read3 when it is time to move on to the next step and Read3 will adjust the Family Access accordingly. Professionals can pre-purchase Family Access for clients, or have clients purchase direct.
A Parent Card Kit is also available for each step of the program, Containing essential concept and game cards, this kit is a great way to continue practice at home should your families wish to purchase it. Professionals can pre-purchase kits for clients, or refer clients directly to the website.