To ensure fidelity of implementation, Read3 training is mandatory for licensed professional users. Please contact Read3 to book in to commence Read3 Training ($260 for 4-session block).
Module 3 Step 2 focuses on adding consonants to words containing long vowel sounds - in particular the 'silent e' syllable and open syllables and 2-syllable words. Through a series of fun, multi-sensory games and activities children will learn to hear individual sounds, blend consonants, read words, spell words, and write sentences. Finally, they will build fluency using the decodable 60 Word Stories designed specifically to match this step of the program.
Step 2 for Professionals includes a single-user licence, authorising use of Read3 program content with an unlimited number of clients. Single step purchasing offers additional flexibility for professionals operating independently in learning support, speech pathology, or tutoring. Simply purchase each step as clients are ready to move on.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 2 will take at least 5 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers and computer games is provided.
What you get in Module 3 Step 2
Step 2 includes online access to:
- 1 lesson video where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan introduces the concept of adding consonants to long vowels
- 1 extension video where Robyn explains how to master the tricky spelling pattern of 'dge' on the ends of words.
- 20 different activities/games (80+ pages of resources)
- easy to follow session practice guide
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
- and a 12-month access licence
Unlimited printing of all digital files for clients is included as part of your 12 month single-user licence (renewal fee applies). Please note, distribution of digital files is not allowed under the Terms of Service.
PLUS you receive a reading fluency program:
- 60 Word Stories: A Tribal Tale. These 8 fully decodable 'chapter' stories can be read repeatedly with confidence as they only include spelling patterns taught so far in Read3. Time your child's reading speed daily and chart to track your child's fluency progress.
What is covered in Step 2
Through our 3-step daily routine of HEAR + SEE + AUTO, children will:
- fine-tune listening skills by identifying, deleting and exchanging individual sounds in words containing consonant blends
- start reading and spelling words that start with 2-3 consonant blends and feature 'silent' e (plane, crime, stroke) and open syllables (fry, cry, spree, tree)
- learn to read and spell 'dge' words (judge, pledge, fridge), 'nge' words (strange, hinge) and 'nce' words (prince, dance, fence)
- start reading and spelling 2-syllable words featuring consonant blends (plastic, disgrace, program)
- start writing short sentences featuring words containing consonant blends
- start to build automaticity by reading sentences and text featuring consonant blends and short and long vowel sounds
- continue to review spelling patterns learned previously
- continue to review word endings s/es, ed, ing, er learned previously
- continue to build a bank of high-frequency words
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the three foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3
Printed CARD KIT saves time and effort
- Sound Train Cards
- Say & Snap Cards
- Add-An-Ending Word Cards
- Word Maker Extension Cards
- U-Know Words Playing Cards (2 packs)
Support students at home with Read3 Family Access
Struggling readers require regular, targeted practise and home practise is recommended. Read3 offers families working under a Read3 Professional access to Module content at a heavily discounted rate via Read3 Family Access.
A personal login for parents ensures digital access to all program content, including videos and activities. Research shows parental 'buy-in' improves the likelihood of regular at-home practise and continued progress during school holidays. Based on monitoring outcomes, your specialist team will advise Read3 when it is time to move on to the next step and Read3 will adjust the Family Access accordingly. Professionals can pre-purchase Family Access for clients, or have clients purchase direct.
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will have automatic access to the program. Using the email and password used to purchase, sign in to view the Read3 Main Menu. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.