In Module 3 your child will be adding extra consonants to words and starting to read and spell words containing 4, 5 and 6 sounds. In Step 2 the focus is on adding consonants to words containing long vowel sounds - in particular the 'silent e' syllable and open syllables and 2-syllable words. Through a series of fun, multi-sensory games and activities your child will practice reading and spelling these longer words. They will then build reading fluency with a targeted set of decodable 60 Word Stories.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 2 will take at least 6 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers and computer games is provided.
What you get in Module 3 Step 2
Step 2 includes online access to:
- 1 lesson video where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan introduces the concept of adding consonants to long vowels
- 1 extension video where Robyn explains how to master the tricky spelling pattern of 'dge' on the ends of words.
- 20 different activities/games (80+ pages of resources)
- easy to follow session practice guide
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
- and a 12-month access licence
PLUS you receive a reading fluency program:
- 60 Word Stories: A Tribal Tale. These 8 fully decodable 'chapter' stories can be read repeatedly with confidence as they only include spelling patterns taught so far in Read3. Time your child's reading speed daily and chart to track your child's fluency progress.
What your child will learn in Step 2
Through our 3-step daily routine of HEAR + SEE + AUTO, children will:
- fine-tune listening skills by identifying, deleting and exchanging individual sounds in words containing consonant blends
- start reading and spelling words that start with 2-3 consonant blends and feature 'silent' e (plane, crime, stroke) and open syllables (fry, cry, spree, tree)
- learn to read and spell 'dge' words (judge, pledge, fridge), 'nge' words (strange, hinge) and 'nce' words (prince, dance, fence)
- start reading and spelling 2-syllable words featuring consonant blends (plastic, disgrace, program)
- start writing short sentences featuring words containing consonant blends
- start to build automaticity by reading sentences and text featuring consonant blends and short and long vowel sounds
- continue to review spelling patterns learned previously
- continue to review word endings s/es, ed, ing, er learned previously
- continue to build a bank of high-frequency words
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the three foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3
Printed CARD KIT saves time and effort
Add a STEP 2 CARD KIT, containing essential game cards and multi-sensory concept cards, to your order and we will mail it straight to your door. Feedback tells us that the kids love the 'professional' game cards and you'll love less cutting and laminating! Kit includes:
- Sound Train Cards
- Say & Snap Cards
- Add-An-Ending Word Cards
- Word Maker Extension Cards
- U-Know Words Playing Cards (2 packs)
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will have automatic access to the program. Using the email and password used to purchase, sign in to view the Read3 Main Menu. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.