Module 2 Step 2 for Professionals includes a single-user licence, authorising use of Step 1 of the Read3 program with clients. Single step purchasing offers additional flexibility for professionals operating independently in learning support, as sole speech pathology practitioners, or as private tutors. Simply purchase each step when your clients are ready to move up a stage.
In Module 2 Step 3 your child will learn to recognise common word endings (morphemes) like s/es, ed, ing and er. They will be introduced to one simple strategy to assist them when reading and spelling words containing these endings. Each session they will work on their phonemic awareness skills (HEAR activities), phonic decoding skills (SEE activities) and start to build automaticity (AUTO) when writing and spelling words. They will then build text-level fluency of spelling patterns learned with targeted decodable 60 Word Stories which are included with the program.
Please note, there are no consonant blends in any words used in this step to ensure children with processing difficulties can start to build an understanding of morphology without 'overloading' on consonants.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 3 will take at least 5 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers, computer games and other resources is provided for each step.
What you get in Step 3
Module 2 Step 3 includes online access to:
- 1 video for parents/carers that provides an overview of morphology
- 6 word ending videos for children
- 2 easy to follow session practice guides
- over 120 pages of downloadable activities
- a fun game board, featuring Easy Alphabet vowel characters
- digital copies of CARD KIT contents
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
PLUS you also receive decodable stories from our 60 Word Stories Reading Fluency Program (valued at $48).
'Riding To Win' (6 stories) features all word endings covered in Step 3. These fully decodable 'chapter' stories can be read repeatedly with confidence as they only include spelling patterns taught so far in the Read3 program. Time your child's reading speed daily and chart to track your child's fluency progress.
Printed CARD KIT saves time and effort
- Sound Train Cards
- Word Maker Ending Cards
- Add-An-Ending Game Board
(A3, paper only)
What children will learn in Step 3
In Step 3 children will:
- learn the difference between nouns and verbs
- gain an understanding of the role of morphemes
- listen for morphemes on the ends of words and learn to identify base words
- recognise the different sounds the 'ed' word ending can make
- explore plurals and when to add 's' or 'es' to words
- master when to double the final consonant, or drop the 'silent e' before adding a word ending
- discover how to change verbs to nouns by adding 'er'
- start reading and spelling small words with word endings s/es, ed, ing and er.
- start writing short sentences featuring word endings s/es, ed, ing and er
- continue to review words, including high-frequency words, featuring all three syllable types learned previously
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the three foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming.
Support students at home with Read3 Family Access
Struggling readers require regular, targeted practise and home practise is recommended. Read3 offers families working under a Read3 Professional access to the Complete Module 1 at a heavily discounted rate via Read3 Family Access.
A personal login for parents ensures digital access to all program content, including videos and activities. Research shows parental 'buy-in' improves the likelihood of regular at-home practise and continued progress during school holidays. Based on monitoring outcomes, your specialist team will advise Read3 when it is time to move on to the next step and Read3 will adjust the Family Access accordingly. Professionals can pre-purchase Family Access for clients, or have clients purchase direct.
A Parent Card Kit is also available for each step of the program. Professionals can pre-purchase kits for clients, or refer clients directly to the website.
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will have automatic access to the program. Using the email and password used to purchase, sign in to view the Read3 Main Menu. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.