Module 2 introduces your child to long vowel sounds. In Module 2 Introduction we focus explicitly on hearing long versus short vowel sounds, and then in Step 1 we teach the main role of Silent e. Through a series of fun, multi-sensory games and activities child will practice reading and spelling short words containing silent e. They will then build reading fluency with a targeted set of 'silent e' decodable 60 Word Stories.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 1 will take at least 5 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers, computer games and other resources is provided for each step.
What you get in Step 1
Module 2 Introduction and Step 1 includes online access to:
- 2 lesson videos where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan introduces long vowels and the silent 3 concept
- easy to follow session practice guide
- 16 different 'silent e' activities/games
- additional activities for more complex '_ce' and '_ge' sounds
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
PLUS you receive a reading fluency program:
- 60 Word Stories: Good Mate Jake. These six fully decodable 'chapter' stories can be read repeatedly with confidence as they only include spelling patterns taught so far in the Read3 program. Time your child's reading speed daily and chart to track your child's fluency progress.
Printed CARD KIT saves time and effort
Add a STEP 1 CARD KIT, containing essential game cards and multi-sensory concept cards, to your order and we will mail it straight to your door. Feedback tells us that the kids love the 'professional' game cards and you'll love less cutting and laminating! Kit includes:
- Sound Train Cards
- Word Maker Cards (50+ unique endings)
- Say & Snap Cards
- U-Know Words Playing Cards (2 packs)
What your child will learn in Step 1
In Step 1 your child will:
- learn to instantly distinguish between short and long vowel sounds
- build familiarity of spelling patterns for words containing short and long vowels using the Sound Train
- fine-tune listening skills by isolating word beginnings and endings containing long vowel sounds
- start reading small words that contain 'silent e' and 'ee' such as bike, late, hole, keep and cube
- start writing short sentences featuring words containing 'silent e'
- continue to review all letters and sound segments learned previously
- continue to build a bank of high-frequency words
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the three foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3.
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will have automatic access to the program. Using the email and password used to purchase, sign in to view the Read3 Main Menu. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.