In Module 3 your child will be adding extra consonants to words and starting to read and spell words containing 4, 5 and 6 sounds. The focus is on adding consonants to the three syllable types mastered already in the Read3 program - closed syllables, open syllables and 'silent e'. They will learn to read longer 2-syllables words and will continue to add endings such as s/es, ed, er and ing. Tricky spelling patterns like 'tch' and 'dge' are also covered in this module.
Read3 integrates systematic synthetic phonics instruction with targeted phonemic awareness and fluency training to build a strong reading foundation for your child. We use fun, multi-sensory activities and games to keep your child motivated and engaged.
For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day using decodable readers. Progress should be monitored daily to determine when your child is ready to move to the next step.
Estimated time to complete Module 3 is 2-3 months (remember, mastery is the aim and every child is different).
What you receive in Module 3
Module 3 provides you with online access to:
- lesson videos where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan teaches key concepts and strategies
- easy to follow session practice guides
- 40+ activities/games
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
- 12-month user licence
- Brad the Bull Ant
- A Tribal Tale
These fully decodable sets, containing 8 'chapter' stories in each, can be read with confidence as they only include spelling patterns taught so far in the Read3 program. Time the child's reading speed daily and chart to track fluency progress.
Save time & effort with printed CARDS
To make life super easy, and minimise the amount of printing needed, add a MODULE 3 CARD KIT to your order. The kit contains essential game cards, multi-sensory concept cards and a game board.
Content overview for Complete Module 3
There are 2 Steps in Module 3. These are:
- Step 1 : adding consonants to single-syllable words containing short vowel sounds. Lesson 1 adds consonants to the rime ending (list, camp, walk). Lesson 2 adds consonant to the onset (plan, grip, black). Lesson 3 adds consonants to the onset and rime (clamp, plant, strength). Your child will now be able to read words containing 4, 5 and 6 sounds. Extension activities include the 'tch' spelling pattern (match, clutch) and triple blends (string, scrap).
- Step 2 : adding consonants to words containing long vowel sounds. This includes both single and multi-syllable words. The focus is on the long vowel syllable types already mastered in Module 2 (open and silent e). Your child will also start reading and writing 2-syllable words containing consonant blends. Extension activities include 'dge', 'nge' and 'nce' spelling patterns.
The program steps are sequential and skills build throughout the module. As a general guide, within each step your child will:
- practise unique reading and spelling strategies designed to support children with multiple processing difficulties
- fine-tune listening skills by identifying, deleting and/or substituting sounds in longer words
- start reading words containing 4, 5 and 6 sounds
- write sentences containing longer words from three syllable types
- build automatic recall of sound segments that occur naturally in our language and link them to spelling patterns for efficient reading and spelling recall
- build a bank of high-frequency words linked to lesson content
Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3
How to access the Read3 program
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will be invited to set up an account. After you have set your password, you can gain automatic access by signing in at Read3. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.