In Read3 Module 1 | Step 4 we introduce the first spelling rule - the Doubling Rule - which applies for ff, ll, ss, zz and ck at the end of small words. The range of activities, including our 'Doubling Ditty', have been developed to build automatic recall of sound-letter patterns relating to this rule.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 4 will take at least 5 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers, computer games and other resources is provided. Progress should be monitored daily to determine when your child is ready to move to the next step.
What you get in Step 4
Step 4 includes online access to:
- lesson video where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan teaches you key concepts and strategies
- easy to follow session practice guide
- 12 different activities/games
- digital copies of CARD KIT contents
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
Printed CARD KIT saves time and effort!
Add a STEP 4 CARD KIT. containing essential game cards and multi-sensory concept cards, to your order and we will mail it straight to your door. Feedback tells us that the kids love the 'professional' game cards and you'll love less cutting and laminating!
What your child will learn in Step 4
In Step 4 your child will:
- practise unique strategies for reading and spelling
- fine-tune listening skills by identifying syllables in 3-syllable words and substituting first sounds in words (e.g. change 'p' in pill to 'qu')
- start reading one-syllable words containing ll, ff, ss, zz and ck
- start writing short sentences containing words ending in ff, ll, ss, zz and ck
- continue to build a bank of high-frequency words
The video lesson in Step 4 explores The Doubling Rule for ff, ll, ss, zz and ck and reinforces the natural sound patterns where this spelling rule applies.
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the three foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3.
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will have automatic access to the program. Using the email and password used to purchase, sign in to view the Read3 Main Menu. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.