Module 2 Step 2 for Professionals includes a single-user licence, authorising use of Step 1 of the Read3 program with clients. Single step purchasing offers additional flexibility for professionals operating independently in learning support, as sole speech pathology practitioners, or as private tutors. Simply purchase each step when your clients are ready to move up a stage.
Module 2 Step 2 is a major breakthrough for most children. Not only will they learn about the third of six syllable types in English - open syllables - they will also start reading and spelling 2 syllable words.
The 2-syllable words include no consonant blends to ensure children with processing difficulties can start to build an understanding of the STRUCTURE of the English language, and practice reading words containing the three syllable types learned so far, without 'overloading' on consonants. They will then build reading fluency of all concepts learned with targeted sets of decodable 60 Word Stories.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 2 will take at least 5 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers, computer games and other resources is provided for each step.
What you get in Step 2
Module 2 Step 2 includes online access to:
- 2 lesson videos where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan introduces open syllables and explains how to split multi-syllable words
- easy to follow session practice guide
- over 20 activities/games
- digital copies of CARD KIT contents
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
PLUS you also receive two sets of decodable stories from our 60 Word Stories Reading Fluency Program (valued at $96):
- Jo Jo the Pug (Lesson 1, 6 stories)
- Jet Ride to Kenya (Lesson 2, 8 stories)
These fully decodable 'chapter' stories can be read repeatedly with confidence as they only include spelling patterns taught so far in the Read3 program. Time your child's reading speed daily and chart to track your child's fluency progress.
Printed CARD KIT saves time and effort
Add a STEP 2 CARD KIT, containing essential game cards and multi-sensory concept cards, to your order and we will mail it straight to your door. Feedback tells us that the kids love the 'professional' game cards and you'll love less cutting and laminating! Kit includes:
- Sound Train Cards
- Word Maker Cards (vowel endings)
- Syllable Tiles
- Say & Snap Cards (2 packs)
- U-Know Words Playing Cards - 2 Syllable Words (1 pack)
What children learn in Step 2
In Step 2, children will:
- build familiarity of spelling patterns for words containing open vowels
- fine-tune listening skills by isolating word beginnings and endings containing long vowel sounds
- start reading and writing small words that contain open syllables (e.g. he, go. why)
- learn how to split 2-syllable words for easy decoding
- start reading and writing 2-syllables containing all 3 syllable types learned so far (closed, 'silent e' and open). For example wombat, escape, dingo, hero.
- start writing short sentences featuring open and 2-syllable words
- continue to review all sound segments learned previously
- continue to build a bank of high-frequency words, including mastery of their first 100 words
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the three foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming.
Support students at home with Read3 Family Access
Struggling readers require regular, targeted practise and home practise is recommended. Read3 offers families working under a Read3 Professional access to the Complete Module 1 at a heavily discounted rate via Read3 Family Access.
A personal login for parents ensures digital access to all program content, including videos and activities. Research shows parental 'buy-in' improves the likelihood of regular at-home practise and continued progress during school holidays. Based on monitoring outcomes, your specialist team will advise Read3 when it is time to move on to the next step and Read3 will adjust the Family Access accordingly. Professionals can pre-purchase Family Access for clients, or have clients purchase direct.
A Parent Card Kit is also available for each step of the program. Professionals can pre-purchase kits for clients, or refer clients directly to the website.
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will have automatic access to the program. Using the email and password used to purchase, sign in to view the Read3 Main Menu. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.