To ensure fidelity of implementation, Read3 training is mandatory for licensed professional users. Please contact Read3 to book in to commence Read3 Training ($260 for 4-session block).
Module 3 Step 1 includes 3 lessons and introduces children to extra consonants in words containing short vowels (CVCC, CCVC, CCVCC). Child will learn to hear individual sounds, blend consonants, read words, spell words, and write sentences. Finally, they will build fluency using the decodable 60 Word Stories designed specifically to match this step of the program.
Step 1 for Professionals includes a single-user licence, authorising use of Read3 program content with an unlimited number of clients. Single step purchasing offers additional flexibility for professionals operating independently in learning support, speech pathology, or tutoring. Simply purchase each step as clients are ready to move on.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 1 will take at least 5 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers and computer games is provided.
What you get in Module 3 Step 1
Step 1 includes online access to:
- 3 animated video lessons
- 28 different activities/games (120+ pages of resources)
- easy to follow session practice guide
- digital copies of CARD KIT contents
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
- and a 12-month licence enabling you to print unlimited copies for an unlimited number of clients
Unlimited printing of all digital files for clients is included as part of your 12 month single-user licence (renewal fee applies). Please note, distribution of digital files is not allowed under the Terms of Service.
PLUS you receive a reading fluency program:
- 60 Word Stories: Brad The Bull Ant. These 8 fully decodable 'chapter' stories can be read repeatedly with confidence as they only include spelling patterns taught so far in Read3. Time your child's reading speed daily and chart to track your child's fluency progress.
What is covered in Step 1
In Module 3 Step 1 children will learn to add consonants to words containing short vowels (closed syllables). Through our 3-step daily routing of HEAR + SEE + AUTO, children will:
- fine-tune listening skills by identifying, deleting and exchanging individual sounds in words containing consonant blends
Lesson 1 - start reading and spelling words that end with consonant blends (lost, desk, hint, camp, tuft)
- Lesson 1 - learn to read and spell 'tch' words (catch, fetch, witch, hutch)
- Lesson 2 - start reading and spelling words that begin with consonant blends (spin, stick, glad, glass, spell, twin, drop, pram, plug). Triple consonant blends are also introduced in an extension activity.
Lesson 3 - start reading and spelling words with consonant blends at the beginning and end (crept, twist, stalk, craft, clutch, trench)
- start writing short sentences featuring words containing consonant blends
- start to build automaticity by reading sentences and text featuring consonant blends
- continue to review spelling patterns learned previously
- continue to review word endings s/es, ed, ing, er learned previously
- continue to build a bank of high-frequency words
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the three foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3
Support students at home with Read3 Family Access
Struggling readers require regular, targeted practise and home practise is recommended. Read3 offers families working under a Read3 Professional access to Module content at a heavily discounted rate via Read3 Family Access.
A personal login for parents ensures digital access to all program content, including videos and activities. Research shows parental 'buy-in' improves the likelihood of regular at-home practise and continued progress during school holidays. Based on monitoring outcomes, your specialist team will advise Read3 when it is time to move on to the next step and Read3 will adjust the Family Access accordingly. Professionals can pre-purchase Family Access for clients, or have clients purchase direct.
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Upon completion of payment, you will have automatic access to the program. Using the email and password used to purchase, sign in to view the Read3 Main Menu. Click each Module Step to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.