Module 1 | Step 1 of the Read3 program works exclusively with the letters s, a, t, i, m, n, o, p to create short words. The aim of Step 1 is to help your child set up a strong reading circuit without 'overloading' their system. We use a systematic, integrated learning approach and fun, multi-sensory activities and games.
The pace of learning is different for each child, but it is anticipated Step 1 will take at least 5 weeks to master. For reading outcomes, a minimum of 5 sessions per week (20 minutes per session) is recommended. Children should then apply this learning for an additional 10 minutes a day, and a curated list of decodable readers, computer games and other resources is provided. Progress should be monitored daily to determine when your child is ready to move to the next step.
What you get in Step 1
Step 1 includes online access to:
- 3 lesson videos where experienced speech pathologist Robyn Monaghan teaches you key concepts and strategies
- easy to follow session practice guide
- 23 different activities/games
- digital copies of CARD KIT contents
- instructions and scripted lessons
- downloadable activity sheets and resources
- monitoring tools and record sheets
Printed CARD KIT saves time and effort!
Add a STEP 1 CARD KIT, containing essential game cards and multi-sensory concept cards, to your order and we will mail is straight to your door. Feedback tells us that the kids love the 'professional' game cards and you'll love less cutting and laminating!
What your child will learn in Step 1
Your child will:
- build an understanding of the Read3 learning system
- learn unique strategies for reading and spelling to accommodate weak working memory
- start reading and writing using s, a, t, i, m, n, o, p
Lessons (and videos) included in Step 1 cover:
- Lesson 1: letters and sounds made simple with the Easy Alphabet
- Lesson 2: blending letters to create rhyme endings (rimes)
- Lesson 3: chunking to assist with reading simple 3 letter words
The Read3 Program works to strengthen the 3 foundational skills needed for reading and writing. Developed by experienced Speech Pathologist Robyn Monaghan, the strategies have proven effective when teaching children with multiple processing difficulties including: poor phonological awareness, poor working memory, poor letter-sound knowledge and poor rapid automatic naming. Learn more about Read3.
Sign in to access program content
Program content is accessed via the website using your own unique log in. Please allow 48 hours from time of purchase for user access to be activated. At this time, sign in using your email and password and click MY READ3 on the main menu. You will then be able to access lesson videos, and print/download your Session Practice Guide and activities.